Searching For America

Just bought a plane ticket to Dublin, bouncing around Europe for seven weeks, this is what's happening.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Moose, mosquitos, and mangy buffalo!

Smoke from the fires made a small part of the ride harsh, but thankfully the wind was in our favor, driving it in the opposite direction we were headed.


Here we found our first buffalo, grazing in a field of dandelions, with the wide angle, I was actually only about 20 feet from him here. He appeared to weigh at least 1200 lbs.



Here we are at the start of the Alaska Highway, mile 0, with a friend we met, Stephen from Zurich. Very cool guy who is currently riding his bicycle, yes, bicycle, from Vancouver to Alaska. Talk about legs of steel.

As of yesterday evening we had found ourselves a new companion, been bitten in unspeakable places by mosquito's big enough to be shot, witnessed a short Canadian man bless out a cook in Tim Horton's before ordering food, met a hardcore cyclist from Switzerland, riding from Vancouver to Alaska, and been told that the route we were taking (the only route we could take from our position) was closed due to forest fires. Overall a very productive day.

Today however, we rode past forest fires on roads that weren't closed, saw numerous buffalo, black bear and moose, and managed to snake our way to Watson Lake. The ride grew boring after some time, reaching long straight roads that seldom connected with anything of interest. We passed over grated metal bridges that like to jerk the bike a little. These were found to require the most concentration. Overall I found myself thinking of strange things to keep my mind occupied. Sometimes I would do math in my head, calculating distances and times, figuring kilometers to miles, and back. At other times, I start imagining the "what if's" everyone who has ridden a motorcycle past a transfer truck has thought about. What if I rode too close and fell off the bridge? What it a moose runs in front of me (which one did) and I can't brake or swerve enough to avoid it? I wear lots of protection, knee, elbow, back, good helmet, good jacket, kevlar long underwear, knee high riding boots, I'm protected more than most linemen, but you still ask yourself, could I hold the bike up if I rode through that bush at these speeds (often exceeding 70 mph). I like to think I could, and if I do go down, I feel pretty good about the fact that I'll be alright.

Now we get back to Ed, the guy from Chicago who had dinner with us and camped in Grand Cache a few nights ago. Well we ended up riding together the past few days, enjoying his company and the stories he can tell from working with the Chicago paramedics. He's just a good, solid guy. However, in his trip to Alaska, it seems like everything has gone wrong. To date, his passport was lost in Chicago City Postal, the riding partner who had planned to go with him for well over a year, backed out the last week, his tire is wearing unseasonably fast, we are hitting far more construction than anticipated, slowing down our approach to Alaska drastically, and to cap it all off, he desperately loves and feels the need to be with, his 7 month pregnant wife, who it is obvious he constantly thinks about. Not to mention he has to be back at work on the 21st. When it rains it pours. Because of these tribulations, he's been considering turning back the past several days, but persevered, now, with news finally reaching us that the upcoming road is filled with over 80 miles of shale and gravel, Ed has decided to head South, taking 37 South, past Skagway, touching Vancouver before heading East again to Chicago. It's been a good ride, but sometimes you have to make a hard choice, and heading home now is probably the wisest thing he can do. We will sorely miss his company.



Zack

2 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Tell that dude that is riding his BIKE to Alaska that he is crazy as hell! The pictures are great Zack! i know you are having a great time, but I'm going to miss not seeing you at Ben and Wills if you don't get back in time :(

June 13, 2009 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Zack! It's Ed. I'm in Cache Creek right now, I thought I'd make it futher but these roads arn't nearly as fast as U.S roads. There's tons of construction down here. The mudslide holdup wasn't too bad, they let motorcycles lead! So I was last in line initially, then they waved me to the front of the line and 5 minutes later.... we were off! I had to be real careful due to the small river flowing across the road still. It was about 10 ft across by 3-4 inches deep and moving pretty quick.
I made it fine, evidently. Later,while getting fuel, some of the people that made it through w/ me asked how I made it though. They said they swore I was going to get swamped any second when I crossed.
Oh, I made it to Alaska after all! I even took a pic of Godzilla to prove it. And then dropped the bike! It took as much effort as when I dropped it in Montana,phew, I even broke a sweat!
37 was amazing. Initially it was a bunch of gravel/dirt, some was really loose and some was packed pretty good. Aside from the gravel roads, the paved parts were truly amazing. Between the scenery and switchbaks, there were parts that reminded me of the roads I've seen in the Austrian/Swiss Alps!
I'm glad I took it instead of BORING LANE.
The road to Hyder was awesome! Glaciers,waterfalls, bears and a really cute and friendly customs agent made it worth it, even though there wasn't a big Alaska sign! It was just a small green and white one, but Alaska nonetheless.
Hope your trip goes well,take care of your dad, and tell him hello. I hope your trip goes well.
Again, it was a blast to ride w/ you guys. I really wish I could've stayed on with you guys, but the fates dictated otherwise.
Definkitely keep in contact.

June 14, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home